Monday, September 26, 2011

Writing While Ill

Forget about it.

I had the happy misfortune of falling ill last week. (thursday, to be exact)

Not the under the weather kind – flat out, can’t move, if you touch me, I’ll find a way to kill you so that we can all die together kind of ill. it was that bad.

During that time, I contemplated quitting my classes (I’m comfortable enough at this point that such a thought is ludicrous, but I thought it anyway) wondered if I should write a will, and suspected Gawd was after me.

This blog is brought to you by the letter E coli. I won’t go into details, but I recommend not cooking three week old sausages for dinner. Yikes!

Okay, back to the writing – I had five poems to fulfill for one assignment (thankfully, I had a ton of notes), a book to read and analyze and the on-going poems for my workshop (of which I was planning to submit the unheard of one a day for a week).

Prioritize. The poem a day for a week can wait – the class members usually submit one a week (but me, not being a poet, must work harder, that’s all). For three full days, until yesterday afternoon, I did absolutely nothing. after awhile you just tell yourself – it ain’t gonna matter if you’re not healthy.

so I concentrated on health (especially the all debilitating hydration!), whatever I could read of the book – a good one – last year’s newbery award winner: One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia. and started to pull my notes for the five children’s poems for a book I’m going to call The Handy Handbook.

I can’t say I’m up to speed – this is the most writing I’ve done in five days, but it does feel good to keep the rails greased, as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment