Monday, August 29, 2011

Returning Home After NILA Residency and the Universal

Okay.

A little catching up. I’ve returned from Whidbey, Washington a richer man. I have sat at the feet of greatness and have been influenced by a number of my peers. This is exactly why I go to the Northwest Institute of Literary Arts (formerly WWW – Whidbey Writers’ Workshop) MFA program. Can one truly learn so much in so short a time? Yes – if one has prepared their life to do so. I can safely say that I have done so. This is no small boast, I know – but it is important to know where one stands in the universe.

Speaking of the Universal: The day after I arrived form a grueling trip down Interstate 5 the wife demands (okay, we’d planned it earlier, but I had expected to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday, not Friday) that we go to Universal Studios – a place I hadn’t visited in nearly 30 years. I won’t say too much about it, except that I enjoyed the visit and was pleased with their product. It was a fun combination of circus and theater.

What does this have to do with writing? Plenty. Paying attention to those that are close to one is essential to one’s personal integrity. Love and friends are important. If they’re not – that’s fine, but don’t go crying about how miserable your love life is.

The take away? Cultivate your garden and enjoy the fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment