Tuesday, August 30, 2011

2K/Day

2,000
That’s the magic number. Writing two thousand words a day that are fresh, interesting and some what directed is not always easy to do. One of the guiding principles that was repeated over the last residency (not that this is the only time I’ve heard it) was the idea of write write write. You hear this mantra all the time at conferences and workshops every where. The added spice this time was this comment:
Poets who make $500 a year or less write when the inspiration strikes; poets who make over $500 a year write constantly find inspiration within the work.
I translated this to my own experience and recognized that I am now within striking distance of creating these goals. I’m not so blind to see that it’s about the money – if that is to come, it will come. As long as I can grow in craft and skill, I will keep at it. Writing 2K/Day is definitely one aspect of my skill set that I will cultivate towards my goal of publication.
The general consensus is that the 2K should be fresh work – not editing. One reason to write these blogs is to get (and keep) the writing ball rolling. By keeping my fingers moving and saying something ‘somewhat’ meaningful, even if it’s a journal about writing, I will be able to maintain a kind of warm up attitude going so that when it’s time to compose, I’ll be in that frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment