Thursday, August 30, 2018

Writers and Challenges

After years of contemplation and research (1993 - 1999), I realized being a writer wasn't such a bad thing. At least that's the way it seemed to me on paper. I had come to the conclusion that one of the steps to being a successful writer was community. I had had some experience in community over those years, but nothing that seemed to me to qualify as ultimately meaningful (life changing) or intimate.

Then I recognized that nearly al the GREATS had been involved with the writer tribe. Hemingway had Perkins; Plath had Hughes and others (though that ended badly), Joyce had a champion in Sylvia Beach (as did others), and so on. Enter my slow involvement around the turn of the century with writer conferences. I went to a number of them before settling down in the State of Washington and Whidbey Island.

I am currently involved with a writer's challenge with a good friend from Washington - Steve White and (in a less formal way) Maria Hartung. I also have a champion for my work who goes by the name Eliana. They have encouraged me, pushed me, and even directed me to "up my game" as it were - and for them I am grateful. I leave this post now to hit the 500 word mark of a novel I've been working on since August 1st, thanks to Steve White.

Much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment